Nasyam is a powerful cleaning method for the head region. It mainly cleans the ‘kapha’ dosha from the upper body. It is done by administering medicine through the nose. Medicinal powder, specially prepared oils, juices of herbs etc are used for nasyam. Most common is the use of medicated oils.
As the nostrils are pathways to the brain, the procedure can influence the brain and is used for various conditions like stroke, facial palsy, insomnia, mental diseases, hormone problems, sinusitis, frozen shoulder, migraine etc.
- Nasyam can be done without doing snehapanam or such extensive preparations.
- The medicine for nasyam is mildly warmed over a water bath.
- You will be asked to sit on a chair and the face and shoulder regions are massaged using a little amount of oil.
- After the massage, mild steam will be given to the face and shoulder.
- After this, you will be asked to lie down on the therapy table.
- After covering your eyes with a clean cotton cloth, the lukewarm medicine is poured into both nostrils alternately.
- Immediately after administration of medicine, mild massage is done over the face, palms, soles, temples and cheeks.
- You have to inhale the medicine with moderate force and spit it out through the mouth while turning your head to either side alternatively without rising from the supine position.
Please lie in the same position for a few minutes because you might feel dizzy if you rise immediately. Medicated smoke inhalation and gargling with warm saline water are done to expel out the residual mucus.
- Inform the doctor if you have any symptoms like fever, running nose or headache before the procedure.
- If any discomfort like headache, dizziness or burning sensation arise after the procedure, call your doctor.
- Breathe in gently and slowly. Do not inhale forcefully.
- Do not expose yourself to too much wind, cold, sun or strenuous activity immediately after the procedure.
- Avoid taking a bath or eating food immediately before or after the procedure.
- Avoid doing this procedure if you have a cold or fever.
- It is not advised for children, very old and weak people.
- Avoid being intoxicated by alcohol or narcotics.
- There should be a gap of at least two hours before/after the procedure from food and bath.