“Panchakarma” is an ayurvedic treatment methodology which specialises in intensive waste elimination from our body at a cellular level.
The stages in panchakarma are similar to a vessel cleaning process. For the cleaning to be effective , so that most of the sticky waste is removed from the body, the toxins have to be dissolved. As a detergent helps in removing grease from a plate, ghee a harmless detergent, is used in panchakarma for dissolving the glue in the body.
To draw a parallel to the cleaning process:
- Remove the “dust” or “remove the stickiness”
- Apply the detergent or “Ghee” (butter without lactose)
- Wash or “purge the toxins out of the body” depending on the condition
- Make it shine or “Rejuvenate”
“Pancha” “karma” are the five detoxification treatments in ayurveda which are done to remove the accumulated toxins and mucus (Aama) from the body.
These treatments include -
- Nasyam - nasal cleaning.-removes mucus above the shoulder level of the body.
- Vamana - therapeutic emesis-clears toxins from the chest and the upper part of the body
- Virechana– purgation-cleans the intestines.
- Matra/ KashayaVasti - medicated enema with oil /decoction. The two types of vasti (enemas) are the definitive ways by which we can clean the large intestines.
- Raktamoskshana– bloodletting- removes Aama from the blood