Panchakarma” is an ayurvedic treatment methodology which specialises in intensive waste elimination from our body at a cellular level.
The stages in panchakarma are similar to a vessel cleaning process. For the cleaning to be effective , so that most of the sticky waste is removed from the body, the toxins have to be dissolved. As a detergent helps in removing grease from a plate, ghee a harmless detergent, is used in panchakarma for dissolving the glue in the body.
To draw a parallel to the cleaning process:
- Remove the “dust” or “remove the stickiness”
- Apply the detergent or “Ghee” (butter without lactose)
- Wash or “purge the toxins out of the body” depending on the condition
- Make it shine or “Rejuvenate”
“Pancha”“karma”are the five detoxification treatments in ayurveda which are done to remove the accumulated toxins and mucus (Aama) from the body.
These treatments include -
- Nasyam - nasal cleaning.-removes mucus above the shoulder level of the body.
- Vamana - therapeutic emesis-clears toxins from the chest and the upper part of the body
- Virechana– purgation-cleans the intestines.
- Matra/ KashayaVasti - medicated enema with oil /decoction. The two types of vasti (enemas) are the definitive ways by which we can clean the large intestines.
- Raktamoskshana– bloodletting- removes Aama from the blood